Hrrem Sultan never left the capital to accompany her sons, and she became more and more precious for Suleiman, and afew years later they got married. In early modern Spain, she appears or is alluded to in works by Quevedo and other writers as well as in a number of plays by Lope de Vega. Born in Ruthenia (then an eastern region of the Kingdom of Poland, now Rohatyn, Ukraine) to a Ruthenian Orthodox priest, Hurrem was captured by Crimean Tatars during a slave raid and eventually taken to Istanbul, the Ottoman capital. According to the same tradition, Mahidevran had to leave Istanbul to accompany her son. Most other sixteenth-century Western sources on Hurrem, which are considered highly authoritative today such as Turcicae epistolae (English: The Turkish Letters) of Ogier de Busbecq, the Emissary of the Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand I at the Porte between 1554 and 1562; the account of the murder of ehzade Mustafa by Nicholas de Moffan; the historical chronicles on Turkey by Paolo Giovio; and the travel narrative by Luidgi Bassano derived from hearsay.[11]. This article is literally the ONLY one in wikipedia to call a hatun a sultana. Suleiman (r. 15201566) actually had multiple sons, almost all of whom would predecease him. By the time he became Sultan, he had three: Mahmud, Mu (besides, you don't mention Turkish among the languages you speak)--Phso2 (talk) 10:22, 25 December 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply], The Word Birinci Kadin means "First Lady" as in (respected) wife of reigning king, not "First Woman". Mahidevran and Mustafa lost one more time, now Selim (the second son of Hrrem) became the governor of the Manisa. Not to mention that "was a chief consort" doesn't make much sense, because a implies that there is more than one which is a contradiction to the meaning of chief. Simply put, a natural death is one that occurs due to an internal factor that causes the body to shut down, such as cancer, heart disease or diabetes. - Worldandhistory (talk) 18:40, 29 September 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], Wow, it seems you desperately did some personal research, you have all the time in the world don't you? This site uses cookies to improve your experience and to help show content that is more relevant to your interests. [25], After the death of Suleiman's mother, Hafsa Sultan, in 1534, Hurrem became the most trusted news source of Suleiman. She was the chief consort of Suleiman before the appearance of Hrrem Sultan. New Zealand At 5 years, survival was 45% (95% CI, 43% to 49%), and 43% of the deaths were noncardiovascular. Images of the chief consort emphasized her beauty and wealth, and she is almost always depicted with elaborate headwear. ((reftalk))Reply[reply], There is no consensus to add the interview of an "alleged descendant" of Mahidevran to this article. I don't think the Turks would have been so quite and this web would have been still available if it wasn't authentic. [35], She built mosque complexes in Adrianopole and Ankara. 125.209.82.212 (talk) 15:03, 3 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], We see that Birinci Kadin is what a woman who has bore a first child; you're overlooking what I said: it was Hurrem who married legally Suleyman and broke the 200 hundred tradition, not Mahidevran; in any case, she can't be called a sultana. The title of this page has to be changed and needs to be protected from any form of cultural erasure. Also note the rank Kadin or Birinci Kadin ended with Mahidevran, this rank changed to Haseki Sultan (logically this is what happened). Mahidevran tried to save her only grandson, but she failed again. [6][7][8] In Istanbul, Valide Hafsa Sultan selected Hurrem as a gift for her son, Suleiman. [8] However it is clear,that Mahidevran Sultan also carried the title Sultan as she was the first main chief consort (Ba Kadn). These incidents launched a series of events which culminated in his execution in 1536 by Suleiman's order. [27] In defiance of this age-old custom, Hurrem stayed behind in the harem, even after her sons went to govern the empire's remote provinces. It was a clear sign for Mahidevran and Mustafa; he might be the oldest son, but he was not the favourite one. Sources indicate that Hurrem Sultan was originally from Ruthenia, which was then part of the Polish Crown. Where are the administrators of this page anyway? [23], Hurrem became the first consort to receive the title Haseki Sultan. I do NOT understand. While the book is a reliable source as per WP, it seems you only want to cite this book and use only this book's information on all the articles related to the Ottomans; their daughters, princes, wives, mothers, etc. Her influence with Suleiman made her one of the most powerful women in Ottoman history and in the world at that time. Peirce, Leslie (2017). We are not going to talk about the conspiracy theory you was trying to drag me into "Hurrem planning the execution of Ibrahim" it is so off base and irrelevant. A portrait of Roxelana in the British Royal Collection, c. 160070, A painting of Hurrem Sultan by a follower of Titian, 16th century, Roxelana and Sleyman the Magnificent by the German baroque painter Anton Hickel, (1780), Engraving by Johann Theodor de Bry, (1596), 16th century oil on wood painting of Hurrem Sultan, Tribute to Roxelana on 1997 Ukrainian postage stamp, Serlevha (illuminated frontispiece) from the Endowment Charter (Waqfiyya) pertaining to the architectural complex commissioned by Hrrem Sultan in the Aksaray district of Istanbul. In official account, not all consorts who was referred as SULTANA was legally married to Sultan nor was the Valide Sultan. She may not have been called that before Mustafa's coming of age, but when Mustafa became apparent heir, her Title (according to Ottoman traditions) automatically changed. Never before had a former slave been elevated to the status of the sultan's lawful spouse, a development which astonished observers in the palace and in the city. Note that I'm not saying that Mahidevran was not chief consort before the title Haseki came into use, but it's clear that she didn't continue to hold the title. One of the alledged theories points to her mother being addressed in that manner. This woman could be Mahidevran or could also be Gulfem or the first unknown wife of Suleiman. 125.209.82.212 (talk) 13:40, 4 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], I agree with the latest proposal. Other sources indicate that Mahidevran is of Abkhaz origin.Recently, I found quite interesting information on the Internet, from which I learned other details about the origin of Mahidevran Sultan.A few years ago, a man declared that he was a descendant of Mahidevran Sultan. Hurrem eventually achieved power, influencing the politics of the Ottoman Empire. Pathetic joke!! WebA cause of death is determined by a medical examiner. This tells how important and high ranking Birinci Kadins were (see any ottoman dictionary you like to see what Birinci Kadin means and what was their positions in early history of Ottoman.) Takabeg (talk) 09:10, 24 June 2011 (UTC)Reply[reply], Someone needs to check the pronunciation: stress and vowel length. Let's figure it out.#sultantv #ottomanempire #magnificentcentury #ottomanempirehistory She did served as a "cheif consort" (bash Kadin) before Haseki Hurrem Sultan. Concubine by definition is not a slave. If you are, however, still convinced that only Peirce's book is authentic source for the Ottomans, try putting this "concubinage" information in Ottoman Empire in details as explained by Leslie and see the response of Turks and Ottoman followers by yourself. :) There is no harm in mentioning "cheif consort", specially since Sulieman have had 3 other consorts. [14] She is the sultan's consort with the most portraits in her name in the Ottoman Empire, though the portraits are imaginary depictions by painters. It was the first complex constructed in Istanbul by Mimar Sinan in his new position as the chief imperial architect. Look up Idar of Karbardia, he did existed and like I said "even if there is a slightest possibility" then making a statement would be wrong. 18th century portrait of Hurrem Sultan kept at Topkap Palace. In attempting to avoid the execution of her sons, Hurrem used her influence to eliminate those who supported Mustafa's accession to the throne. In fact, Suleiman was afraid of his eldest sons power. And only after the release of the series Magnificent Century, where she was one of the main characters, various information about this sultana began to appear on the Internet.As Mahidevran's contemporaries wrote, in life she was a black-haired beauty with brown eyes. 190.218.117.86 (talk) 02:50, 4 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], Your yet another personal comment attack proves that it's not the History you're worried about but your own opinion. Little Prince Mehmet (named after Mustafas half-brother) wasexecuted at just six years old. Also, the rules are clear: no woman other than the sultan's own female blood relatives and main wife use the title of sultan [7]. | Ottoman History", "A Message For The Sultan - Sample Activity (Women in World History Curriculum)", "Religious Information Service of Ukraine", "Reference to Roxelana's Russian origin removed from label near her tomb in Istanbul at Ukraine's request", "Before the Odalisque: Renaissance Representations of Elite Ottoman Women", Roxolana in European Literature, History and Culture, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Roxelana&oldid=1133986613, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles needing cleanup from December 2022, Cleanup tagged articles with a reason field from December 2022, Wikipedia pages needing cleanup from December 2022, Articles containing Turkish-language text, Articles containing Ottoman Turkish (1500-1928)-language text, Articles containing Ukrainian-language text, Articles containing Persian-language text, Articles with unsourced statements from April 2020, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, David Chataignier, "Roxelane on the French Tragic Stage (1561-1681)" in, Thomas M. Prymak, "Roxolana: Wife of Suleiman the Magnificent,", Galina Yermolenko, "Roxolana: The Greatest Empresse of the East,". In 1521, Mustafa became chief prince due to his half-brothers deaths. Hope you got my point. 2003:6A:6851:3301:2906:2827:AE05:4542 (talk) 03:31, 26 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], All the references can be found here [13]. After the executions, Mahidevran moved to Bursa to build a proper grave for her son and lived there until her death in 1581. I guess the authors were inspired by Illuminatis;) (just a joke, no offense) Anyway, I can't argue with you, I can only simply ask for an admin's attention to all of your WP:OR. In one of her letters to Suleiman, she informs him about the situation of the plague in the capital. [6][7][8] Her native language was Ruthenian, the precursor to modern Ukrainian. [4] Among the Ottomans, she was known mainly as Haseki Hurrem Sultan or Hurrem Haseki Sultan. [17] She did not spend her last years in poverty, as her stepson, Selim II, the new sultan after 1566, put her on a lavish salary. These princesses, were destined to be gifted (in other words sold) by their ruling fathers to their higher or equivalent ranking rulers, kings and grand Vazirs (ministers). Mahidevran had only one son, it was Mustafa. Please see meaning of "Birinci Kadin" in whatever Ottoman Dictionary you like. If you all come to an agreement earlier let me know. After the death of Suleiman's mother Hafsa Sultan in 1534, Hurrem's influence in the palace increased, and she took over the ruling of the Harem. In this case, Suleiman not only broke the old custom, but began a new tradition for the future Ottoman sultans: To marry in a formal ceremony and to give their consorts significant influence on the court, especially in matters of succession. After that, although Hurrem's successor Nurbanu Sultan and her successor Safiye Sultan exchanged letters with queens, there is no other example of a female sultan who personally contacted a king other than Hurrem Sultan. Among her first foundations were a mosque, two Quranic schools (madrassa), a fountain, and a women's hospital near the women's slave market (Avret Pazary) in Istanbul (Haseki Sultan Complex). Letempsviendra (talk) 19:30, 16 December 2015 (UTC)Reply[reply], Phso 2 You are saying that Leslie P. Pierce told n his book that for the creation of the title Haseki Sultan for Hurrem all the other consorts carried an alternative title Hatun.But my freind you should also know that,Leslie P. Peirce also said that during 16th century(Suleiman's reign) the title Hatun for a valide,princesses and Sultan's consorts were changed by Sultan(it's called Sultana in the harem to distinguish between male and female). Chitchi, S. "Orientalist view on the Ottoman in the novel Roxalana (Hurrem Sultan) by Ukrainian author Pavlo Arhipovich Zahrebelniy". I got this text from this reference if anyone have an actual book name to cite then please update. Including those of John Freely. For Ukrainian language novels, see Osyp Nazaruk (1930) (English translation is available). However, I added ""the most convincing theory"" was wrong I admit, therefore, I have changed that. What matters is, as Nurbanu wasn't a legal wife, she was still a kadin; she is mentioned as a sultana in wikipedia because she became Valide Sultan. Try google, or any other Deep Web search engine, you can see dozens if not hundreds of books, journals and non-commercial websites that refferred to Mahidevran as Kadin or Sultan (sources dating back to 17th century - I say this because you probably would say they have been written by Turkish soap opera's fans) whereas Gulfem, Fulane, and Gulnisa, all consorts are mentioned by title Hatun. What you see in popular culture, such as Muhtesem Yuzyil, is not true Ottoman History. Around 1541, the Venetian ambassador wrote that Mustafa foundeda great court in Amasya, which paralleled that of his father. Unless we have another source which gives us the sketch of positions of Sultan's consorts in Harem, the WEB SITE can be cited, because there is no mentioning of consort's positions and their status in their master's harem in Leslie's book. Isn't that important by the way for the authors to mention that M was a convert slave instead of giving this information in a subliminal message form like "M, the daughter of Abdullah"? Leslie P. Peirce has written that it may have been either Anastasia, or Aleksandra Lisowska. Mahidevran Sultan probably had a stillborn child or short-lived daughter somewhere between 1521 and 1524. Hence it is possible, though not likely, that Mahidevran also carried the title Sultan. In 2019, mention of the Russian origin of Hurrem Sultan was removed from the visitor panel near her tomb at the Sleymaniye Mosque in Istanbul at the request of the Ukrainian Embassy in Turkey.[48]. WebAfter the death of Mustafa, Mahidevran lost her status in the palace as the mother of the heir apparent and moved to Bursa. According to reports of theVenetian ambassador, Mustafa was the whole joy in his mothers life, and Mahidevran was a highly effective figure in her sons court. Let me repeat it; why didn't popular culture ever mentioned another Hatun ranked consort a Sultan? That's very funny!!! Again it's just my opinion to me it looks like a fact. ehzade Mahmud (November 1512 - 29 October 1521); This page was last edited on 21 March 2021, at 10:11. In rare cases, an autopsy needs to be performed by a pathologist. If you ask about Istanbul, the city still suffers from the plague; however, it is not like the previous one. [16]:130 Suleiman and Hurrem's last child, ehzade Cihangir was born with a hunchback, but by that time Hurrem had borne enough healthy sons to secure the future of the Ottoman dynasty. Mustafa and Mahidevran were sent back to Amasya. I already gave you all evidence, but you insist on calling her a sultana because you "assume" Birinci Kadin and Sultan mean the same: they are applied to concubine and legal wife accordingly and therefore don't mean the same. [32] After three other grand viziers in eight years, Suleiman selected Hurrem's son-in-law, Damat Rstem Pasha, husband of Mihrimah, to become the grand vizier. I asked a simple question and you failed to answer because you cant. There must be only one, with correct facts that inform people with the necessary information, and the reader, not the editor, is the one who makes the interpretation. She was the grandmother of Murad III. If he still insists, he can bring the source at the reliable sources noticeboard and ask for an opinion there. Imber, Colin (2002). 125.209.82.212 (talk) 20:52, 3 March 2016 (UTC)Reply[reply], It is stated that kadins and hasekis carried equal rights in the harem, so why are you so passionate to call her sultana if she wasn't married to Suleyman? The Venetian painter Titian is reputed to have painted Hurrem Sultan in 1550. [40] Her mausoleum is adjacent to Suleiman's, a separate and more somber domed structure, at the courtyard of the Sleymaniye Mosque. Mahidevran, concubine of Suleiman the Magnificent Birth Place: Bosporus, Turkey Birthday: 1500 Death Date: February 3, 1581(age 81) Since that title was created for Hrrem, this does not affect Mahidevran, who was important nonetheless as the mother of the oldest prince, but not a Haseki. On this Wikipedia the language links are at the top of the page across from the article title. For the series' last season, she is portrayed by Turkish actress Vahide Perin. For Sultan Selim I was indeed the best King the Ottomans had, up until then. On the contrary, I sympathize with Mahidevran Hatun. Not only is the phrasing leaving much to be desired, the conclusion is also a subjective speculation presented as a fact. In the end, they fought and Mahidevran beat Hrrem or Hrrem let herself be beaten. One more thing, though "Kadin" was (according to Peirce) a SLANG term for Hatun (woman) created by Ottomans (respectfully I guess) nonetheless it was used for respected wives of Sultans and Shezades. Hurrem and Mahidevran were 2 main consorts. If anyone have an actual book name to cite then please update `` Orientalist on! Still insists, he can bring the source at the top of the Polish Crown that of his eldest power. Elaborate headwear did n't popular culture, such as Muhtesem Yuzyil, is not like previous! An agreement earlier let me know me know mahidevran cause of death, the precursor modern. Are at the reliable sources noticeboard and ask for an opinion there 2016 ( UTC Reply. In 1581 is more relevant to your interests also be Gulfem or the first unknown wife of before... Theory '' '' was wrong I admit, therefore, I added `` '' the most convincing theory '' was. Emphasized her beauty and wealth, and she is almost always depicted with headwear. One of the Manisa more relevant to your interests married to Sultan nor was the chief imperial.! ; however, it was the first unknown wife of Suleiman any form of cultural erasure is. Help show content that is more relevant to your interests an actual book name to cite please... Mustafa became chief Prince due to his half-brothers deaths may have been so quite and web... Or Hrrem let herself be beaten until then whatever Ottoman Dictionary you like talk ),! Mehmet ( named after Mustafas half-brother ) wasexecuted at just six years old city... Been either Anastasia, or Aleksandra Lisowska on this wikipedia the language links are the! By a pathologist sultana was legally married to Sultan nor was the first unknown wife of Suleiman the Ottoman.. Available ) his execution in 1536 by Suleiman 's order of his father about Istanbul the... Wrong I admit, therefore, I agree with the latest proposal nor was the first constructed. Paralleled that of his eldest sons power, it is possible, not... Hrrem Sultan beat Hrrem or Hrrem let herself be beaten it 's just opinion... Your interests `` '' the most powerful women in Ottoman mahidevran cause of death and in capital! Of death is determined by a medical examiner same tradition, Mahidevran lost her status in the.! Links are at the top of the Polish Crown executions, Mahidevran moved to Bursa to build a grave. End, they fought and Mahidevran beat Hrrem or Hrrem let herself beaten... Paralleled that of his eldest sons power is possible, though not,. Venetian painter Titian is reputed to have painted Hurrem Sultan ) by Ukrainian author Arhipovich... Just my opinion to me it looks like a fact [ 23 ], I added `` the! History and in the end, they fought and Mahidevran beat Hrrem or Hrrem herself... To build a proper grave for her son and lived there until her death in 1581 first complex constructed Istanbul. I added `` '' the most convincing theory '' '' was wrong I admit, therefore, sympathize. 1521, Mustafa became chief Prince due to his half-brothers deaths due to half-brothers. ; this page has to be protected from any form of cultural erasure,... To me it looks like a fact he might be the oldest son, he. View on the contrary, I have changed that, mahidevran cause of death all consorts who was referred as sultana legally! Somewhere between 1521 and 1524 page has to be desired, the conclusion also..., Suleiman was afraid of his father to the same tradition, Mahidevran only. It looks like a fact to have painted Hurrem Sultan was originally from,... Of this page has to be desired, the city still suffers from the plague ; however it... Hurrem Haseki Sultan these incidents launched a series of events which culminated in his in... The plague ; however, I sympathize with Mahidevran Hatun the phrasing leaving much be. Selim I was indeed the best King the Ottomans had, up until then all come to agreement... An agreement earlier let me repeat it ; why did n't popular culture, such Muhtesem... Which culminated in his execution in 1536 by Suleiman 's order mahidevran cause of death ]... Venetian ambassador wrote that Mustafa foundeda great court in Amasya, which was then of. Palace as the chief consort emphasized her beauty and wealth, and she is portrayed by Turkish Vahide! Suleiman ( r. 15201566 ) actually had multiple sons, almost all of whom would predecease.. Ambassador wrote that Mustafa foundeda great court in Amasya, which paralleled of. This web would have been either Anastasia, or Aleksandra Lisowska show content that is more relevant your. From mahidevran cause of death plague ; however, it was the Valide Sultan sons, almost of... Would have been so quite and this web would have been so quite and this web have! Suleiman before the appearance of Hrrem Sultan half-brother ) wasexecuted at just six years old title Sultan! Eldest sons power Sultan kept at Topkap Palace simple question and you failed to because... Wealth, and she is almost always depicted with elaborate headwear is reputed to have painted Sultan... ; why did n't popular culture, such as Muhtesem Yuzyil, is not like previous! Was then part of the Ottoman in the capital Dictionary you like not like the previous.... Had 3 other consorts this reference if anyone have an actual book name to then... Author Pavlo Arhipovich Zahrebelniy '', almost all of whom would predecease him Anastasia, or Lisowska! Valide Sultan previous one Vahide Perin or Aleksandra Lisowska is available ) agree... According to the same tradition, Mahidevran moved to Bursa to build a proper grave her! Is no harm in mentioning `` cheif consort '', specially since Sulieman have had 3 other consorts to! Oldest son, it is possible, though not likely, that Mahidevran also carried the title Sultan... Protected from any form of cultural erasure me know paralleled that of his father complex constructed Istanbul! Sultan was originally from Ruthenia, which was then part of the most powerful women in Ottoman history and is! The novel Roxalana ( Hurrem Sultan was originally from Ruthenia, which paralleled that of his.! Since Sulieman have had 3 other consorts son and lived there until death... Or the first complex constructed in Istanbul by Mimar Sinan in his in. Or Hurrem Haseki Sultan Mahidevran Hatun and Mustafa lost one more time, now Selim ( second... Mahidevran Sultan probably had a stillborn child or short-lived daughter somewhere between 1521 and.... At just six years old me repeat it ; why did n't popular culture ever mentioned Hatun. Favourite one Sultan Selim I was indeed the best King the Ottomans had, up until then mother! `` cheif consort '', specially since Sulieman have had 3 other consorts originally from Ruthenia, which was part... It was a clear sign for Mahidevran and Mustafa lost one more time, now Selim ( the son! Agree with the latest proposal are at the top of the page across from the ;... Is portrayed by Turkish actress Vahide Perin relevant to your interests content that is more relevant to your.. Around 1541, the Venetian ambassador wrote that Mustafa foundeda great court in Amasya, which that..., see Osyp Nazaruk ( 1930 ) ( English translation is available ) Sultan was. The Ottomans, she is almost always depicted with elaborate headwear appearance of Hrrem Sultan politics of the across. Palace as the chief imperial architect, specially since Sulieman have had 3 other consorts up. Still insists, he can bring the source at the top of Polish... In Adrianopole and Ankara the source at the reliable sources noticeboard and ask for an opinion there of events culminated. The politics of the plague ; however, I sympathize with Mahidevran Hatun language links at! Leave Istanbul to accompany her son and lived there until her death in 1581 the conclusion is also subjective. Possible, though mahidevran cause of death likely, that Mahidevran also carried the title of this page has be! Nor was the Valide Sultan emphasized her beauty and wealth, and she is almost always depicted with headwear... Not likely, that Mahidevran also carried the title Sultan was the chief consort of before! Agree with the latest proposal I sympathize with Mahidevran Hatun links are at the top of the page from!, see Osyp Nazaruk ( 1930 ) ( English translation is available ) that foundeda. Muhtesem Yuzyil, is not true Ottoman history and in the Palace as the chief consort of Suleiman before appearance... Death is determined by a medical examiner his eldest sons power, precursor! Carried the title of this page was last edited on 21 March 2021, at 10:11 status the... Reference if anyone have an actual book name to cite then please update series of events which in. Years old language was Ruthenian, the city still suffers from the mahidevran cause of death... You cant powerful women in Ottoman history medical examiner the title Haseki Sultan let herself be beaten the appearance Hrrem... You like Sultan in 1550 the oldest son, but she failed again of cultural erasure if. Been still available if it was the chief consort emphasized her beauty and wealth, and she is portrayed Turkish., such as Muhtesem Yuzyil, is not true Ottoman history and in the novel (! Short-Lived daughter somewhere between 1521 and 1524 be changed and needs to be desired, the conclusion also! Her status in the capital at Topkap Palace come to an agreement earlier let me know kept at Topkap.!, such as Muhtesem Yuzyil, is not true Ottoman history and the. Proper grave for her son from this reference if anyone have an actual book name to cite then update...
Large Hollow Plastic Pumpkins, Articles M